Wednesday, January 6, 2010

St. Johns, New Foundland

Today we embarked on our, “Journey,” as my father has called it. We woke up and left our Halifax abode at five o'clock in the morning. Then we spent most of the day driving, which was as terrible as I planned. Vanessa had to be entertained with her Wiggles DVD. Everyone had to listen to five middle aged men singing about a big red car. John blasted his I-pod so loud that I could clearly here the lyrics. But the worse part was that he provided his own rendition to his ghetto hip hop songs like, “Candy Shop,” and “Party Like A Rock Star.”
My Father was excited about our stop at St. Johns because we were to see many historic sights. We arrived at Saint Johns late at night, but in the morning we visited Signal Hill. My father's a history major and knew endless facts about some old building. Apparently it was where the first wireless signal across the Atlantic was received. The structure dated back to 1704. For an old building it was very appealing to the eye. We also visited Cape Spear National Historic sight, It was a light house at the most eastern tip of Canada. Dad said it was the oldest surviving lighthouse in Canada. He enjoyed the sight seeing but I was not to interested.
I also swam in the Ocean, and helped Vanessa Jump over waves. But I've swum in the Atlantic thousands of times. I kept on wondering how the Beaches were in British Columbia. I had this vision that the water would be just a bit clearer, and the sand just a shade higher. But I guess I will find out soon.


St. Johns, Newfoundland.
Laitiude: 47 20N
Longitude: 66 8W
Population: 100, 646
Population Density (people/Km2): 225.6/km2
Landforms: Atlantic Ocean
Climate: St. Johns is located on the costline of the Atlantic Ocean. Because of the Lake effect, the temperatures stay moderate. The current from the Atlantic Ocean brings cold water from the Arctic in the winters resluting in cold winters. The city is also located on high hills whichs will cause the temperature to be colder. (temperture decreases 1 degree celcuis for every 100 miles above sea level.
EcoZone: Boreal Sheild.
Closest National park: Terra Nova
Industries: Fisheries
Tourism: Cape Spear Lighthouse, Signal Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment