Sunday, July 11, 2010

Calgary, Alberta

We have had allot of driving to do as we are on our way to Calgary. My brother and I were about to kill each other. I think we were biologically programmed not to like each other. He sings along to his I-pod which annoys me. So I read my book aloud. Then my parents scold us, ending in a long period of semi silence (We can still hear Vanessa's DVD.)
When we arrived in Calgary we spent a Day in Calaway Park. Calaway is the largest amusement park in the country. It includes classic fair rides like roller coasters and train rides. First we visited the Kiddie section to entertain Vanessa. She enjoyed some of the rides that went slow enough for her. John and I went to and pretended to that we were getting some real adrenaline from those rides. After Vanessa rode the carousel (her favourite ride) a thousand times she took a nap. Then John and I rode the real attractions. We went on roller coasters, which were taller then most houses, and went faster then some cars. I freaked out on the higher drops and yelled hysterically. My mother also took us to play rip off carnival games. John won at the fishing game and chose a medium prize for Vanessa. He made Mom pay a dollar to win a stuffed cow that was probably only worth 75 cents, but he seemed really proud anyway's. Then I watched the indoor shows and left.
The day after we visited the Canadian Olympic Park. The Arena where the 1988 Olympics were held was open as a year round athletic resort. I got to go ziplineing, which I did not find the harness to comfortable. My brother and I tried outdoor wall climbing, which did not give me the adrenaline rush I had hope for. There were also other activities like dirt biking, and falling down a hill in an inflatable ball. The facility also lets you hold the 1988 Olympic torch. While we were holding it John made it very clear that this was not the last time he was going to hold the Olympic torch.
Calgary was another fun stop. I still like Niagara Falls better.


Calgary, Alberta
Latitiude: 51 00N
Longitude: 114 10W
Population: 180,8193
Population Density (people/Km2): 1360.2/Km2
Landforms: Mountains on one side/ Plains on the others.
Climate: Calgary get more rain then it's neighbouring Parrie cities because it has the rocky mountains on one side and parries on the other. This means there to be more precipitation caused by the Rain Shadow effect (clouds can get over the mountains so they liquify to rain.)
EcoZone: Parries
Closest National park: Banff National Park.
Industries: Oil
Tourism: Olympic Arena, Calaway Park, Calgary Stampeed

No comments:

Post a Comment